I have a judgment, but the defendant no longer appears to have any assets. What can I do?

When you sued the defendant, he appeared to have assets. Now that you have finally obtained a judgment, the assets supposedly have all disappeared and your defendant appears to be “judgment proof”. All may not be lost.

It is not uncommon for someone, knowing that a judgment is likely to be entered against them, to transfer away assets to get them out of their name. Nevada Revised Statutes Chapter 112 addresses these “fraudulent transfers”. If a debtor has transferred away assets to either “friendly hands”, or for grossly inadequate value, suit may be filed against both the defendant and the person receiving the asset to compel its return in order that it may then be sold for its true value and have the sale proceeds applied to what is owed you.

Contact us by calling (702) 451-7077 or filling out the form to the right to discuss your rights if you believe a defendant has taken steps to make themselves judgment proof. We may be able to get you paid.